Friday, October 5, 2012

Hallway

Here is another painting by Morgan Craig that is in the Parkland Art Gallery.  I am an room monitor there.  I have been in the same room with these paintings three times a week for four hours, so I have begun to examine them and think about what they mean to me.

I talked about this particular piece with one of my co-workers and she mentioned that it strangely reminded her of walking down her school hallway.  It is obviously not a school hallway nor is it even indoors.  In fact, it looks like a very dirty, littered, and neglected part of town or business outside next to a building. Perhaps it may have been the lighting, such as there were windows in her school hallways, or the colors that brought back an old memory for her.  

What I noticed about it is its color palette.  I see hints and tones of the primary colors which is very complementary.  I find that complementary colors is a staple in Craig's paintings in this particular exhibition.  I also noticed the extreme viewpoint of going down a hallway-like area that creates more interest than if it had just been a painting of just the brick wall or the other side, which is barely visible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment